Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ruthless Redemption

Today was an emotional day, but a redemptive day also. After yesterday not having the energy to even get out of my pj's, I decided I had to get out of the house today. I did miss the 9:00 service, so I went to the 11:00 one. I think it was God-designed, because I ended up seeing a great friend there that I wouldn't have seen if I went to the early service. I got to church a bit early and decided to sit in the car and read my book, Flying Solo, until time for church to start. I really didn't want to walk into the church too early because I was feeling really insecure and didn't want to draw any more attention to myself than necessary. I know that may sound crazy, but that's where I was this morning. Don't judge.

I went in and found a seat and ended up introducing myself to a few people sitting near me. It was the first Sunday of the month, and the year for that matter, which means Communion. I LOVE communion Sundays but I know that I am always an emotional wreck at the end of those services. Today was no different. God knew where my heart was this morning and I could feel His sweet spirit with me from the moment I stepped foot in the door. Every song spoke directly to my heart, especially this one:




Then Russ came up and started telling us about our next sermon series for January and I knew the message was a gift to me from God. We are going through the book of Ruth in the month of January, a chapter per week. As soon as he mentioned Ruth's name I was taken back to my dating days in college and the time I read "A Lady in Waiting". It made me realize that I should probably pick that book back up again. Some of the topics that Russ talked about this morning really spoke to me, and I spent the whole sermon trying to fight back the tears. God is so good.

Russ said that God is already working out your story for 2013 and you don't even know it yet. That gave me encouragement, because where I am at right now, it can only get better. I'm excited to see what my story will be this year.

He also said that God is involved in the details of your life, working all of it together for your good. He is working in more ways than you even know. God is in the middle of your healing process.

The story of Ruth is about two widows and their walk through suffering. I find myself walking right next to them and I was so excited when I heard that this is how we were starting the year. What a wonderful message from God this morning to me. I had just read in my book that morning that its so amazing that God is the husband to the husbandless. That was reiterated this morning in the sermon. I love how God repeats himself to me because he knows that I usually need to hear it multiple times to really understand it and apply it to my life.

After church I went and spoke to my friend "A" and she was amazing and listened to me and challenged me and prayed over me. I miss her so much, and I needed her this morning. Needless to say I was a MESS when I left the church. Its awesome to know that I can be a mess and no one will judge me for that in my church. God is so present in my life right now and its wonderful. Every tear I cry is one step closer to redemption and a new life. Praise the Lord that this is not the end of my story. To God be the glory.

"Despair is for people who know, beyond any doubt what the future is going to bring. Nobody is in that position. So depair is not only a kind of sin theologically, but also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows. In that sense, there is hope."  ~Patrick Curry

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Your story today brought me to tears several times, I can relate to so much that you spoke. I needed the reminder that God is always here with us, especially through our hardest times. It's easy to forget that at times, like Footprints in the Sand. He is carrying me right now. My Kristen is your Daniel, this is the hardest thing I've ever been faced with. Thank you so much Starr.

    ReplyDelete