Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ruthless Redemption- Part 2

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that my church is going through the book of Ruth for the month of January. Well this week Russ preached from Ruth 3 and told the story of Boaz redeeming Ruth as her "kinsman redeemer." I wont try to summarize Russ' message because I would not do it justice, but there were some key points that stood out to me and weaved the message of Redemption into my heart; a message that would continue to echo throughout the day. Again, God has a way of repeating himself to me so that I don't miss the message.

Russ asked us the question, "What do we do when we ask God for something and he says, Not Now?" That question resonated with me because I feel like that's what is happening in my life. I'm even at a point where I feel like God is saying NO to my prayers.

Russ went on to explain the idea of a redeemer in the days of Ruth and what that means. A redeemer was a man who would have the option to take a woman as his wife if her husband were to die or leave. The redeemer would be a relative of the husband and would have the OPTION to marry her and take her in to protect her. He was not forced by law to do this. He would only do it if he WANTED to because it was 1. expensive/costly, 2. permanent. Someone would not go into this situation lightly, and so the act of redeeming someone showed just how much they loved or cared for that woman. 

Russ then went on to compare Boaz to God and related how God is our Redeemer. God doesn't have to save us, he chooses to, all because he loves us.

 I left the church feeling renewed and loved by God in a way that I can't really explain. All I  knew was I had been chosen by God to be loved and cared for, and no one could take that away from me.

Later in the day I went to see the movie Le Mis with Margaret from my DC class. I have to confess that I didn't know the story and really didn't know what to expect. I was blown away by this movie. The movie is a wonderful story of forgiveness, love and REDEMPTION! God was speaking to me again as I sat in that theater. He was reminding me again that he chose me and he loves me. He will protect my heart through all these trials. 

The last little reminder came through music...my favorite form of messages from God. As I left the theater, this song by Big Daddy Weave came on the radio called "Redeemed." Take a listen and I hope you are blessed by it as well.


2 comments:

  1. God has something great in store for you. Just keep listening to him. I really like this song too. Love you and I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty piece and that fellow had a surprisingly good voice.

    ReplyDelete