Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankfulness

It's that time of year again...everyone is sharing what they have to be thankful for each day leading up to Thanksgiving. I like this tradition, but I have not been participating in the ritual this year. On the surface, I could wallow in self pity and claim "What do I have to be thankful for, holidays this year suck because of what's transpiring in my life." But I WILL NOT be that person. I have so much to be thankful for and I think its been magnified during this time of trial. So here is my not-so-normal "Thankful" list:

I will start with the "generalizations"

1. Most importantly, I am thankful for my relationship with God my Savior. I seriously would not make it out of bed each morning without the strength and guidance that He gives me. He gives me a reason to keep moving forward. I trust Him wholeheartedly and even though I cant see His plan right now, I know that He is working all things together for my good.

2. My family. Even though my family is far away in NC, and I cant run home and cry to them or laugh with them, I am so thankful for their love and support. I know that no matter how far away I am or how long its been since I have seen or talked to them, that if I need them, they will be there.

3. My extended family/in-laws. This transition has been hard on me and my in-laws/extended/married family. Separation/divorce doesn't happen just to the couple. Its affects everyone. I am so thankful that my in-laws are still supportive of me and still want to be part of my life.

4. My friends. Oh my friends are amazing. I will be the first to admit that I pretty much suck at keeping in touch with friends like I should. I get so caught up in my own life that I forget to check on my friends and be there for them. I have been utterly amazed at the outpouring of love and support that I have received from my friends over this past month. I'm not sure how I could ever make it up to you all, but I will try.

5. My puppies. This little furry three-some is my daily strength. They are wonderful companions, protection, snugglers, and entertainers. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Now for more specific "thankfuls"

1. Cafe Coco talks with Stacey Bailey
2. Hibachi grill night with Sara McAdoo
3. Painting with Debbie Radish and Jane Lovell
4. Soccer with Geddy, Sean, and Mango
5. Greek food dates with Laura, Geddy, Anthony Mills, and Matt
6. Shooting guns with Amanda Weaver and Dad
7. Running the 5K Challenge at TNU with Debbie, Scott and Hailey
8. Dog park dates with Sara and Caroline
9. Book club with my "book club girls"
10. YMCA memberships so I can take kickboxing classes
11. Neighbors like Rustee who take my trash cans back to the house every week while I'm at work, and offer to have coffee and just talk
12. Twilight movie night with Rachel Parker
13. Lunch dates with Pam and Debbie
14. White wine and chick flicks
15. Late night chats via Facebook with Thomas, Brian, and many other friends
16. Late night conversations on the phone with Amanda, Sara, and Caroline
17. Celebrating with friends who are expecting...living vicariously through them :)
18. Waking up and seeing Archie asleep on the pillow next to me
19. Being completely surrounded by puppies in the bed to keep me warm
20. Redecorating the house to fit my "style"
21. Teaching Archie to finally "go to his bed" when its time for me to leave the house!! Victory!
22. Cold nights and warm blankets
23. Anticipation of Black Friday shopping with Kim, Sharon, and Mom
24. Baking pumpkin and banana chocolate chip muffins
25. Relationships with Jason Gillie, and Alan Gillie that span over a decade, and they still treat me like their little sister. 
26. New friendships with people like Stephanie D. from church, and Baja Burrito dates :)

I'm sure this list could go on and on...I will keep adding to it as the days and weeks pass. I am most thankful for all the wonderful, supportive people in my life who love me for me...even through all my flaws. I am thankful for you!!

2 comments:

  1. Your outlook on life is so impressive. I wish I knew you better, cousin. You seem like an amazing person. No wonder you have some many wonderful friends. I am sure you are a blessing to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Radish-RespessNovember 16, 2012 at 7:32 AM

    These are beautiful "thankfuls", Starr. However, I have one thought. Noted in #4: "I'm not sure how I could ever make it up to you all, but I will try". The beauty of friends is that you never have to pay anyone back or make "it" up... That's why we're friends. Because it's about paying it forward and knowing that you don't have to pay anything 'back' when a friend is a friend. So enjoy the friendships and everything that is taking place now: the good, the bad, and the ugly. You will be amazed that when you STOP feeling like you have to pay anything back, the gift is that much more wonderful. We're all here for you, by your side, walking hand-in-hand, or carrying you, or pushing you forward, or letting you drop and just be. It is all about the journey... not a destination. That's the true gift from God... I am so thankful that God has brought us back into each other's lives again. This time, I feel it will be for a very long and wonderful time... so let's get on with the journey!! Love you! Debbie (Radish-Respess)

    ReplyDelete